If an app becomes unresponsive, you can use the macOS "Force Quit" command. It closes any program, even if it is not responding.
This manipulation can be performed if the normal closing method (Cmd+Q) does not work. As a last resort, here's how to force quit any app.
Force quit software with a hotkey
- Press the keys simultaneously Alt (option) + Cmd + Esc.
- In the list, select the software to be closed and click on Force quit.
- Click on Force quit to confirm.
If even the Force Quit feature doesn't work, you can go for a force restart of the Mac. To do this, simply hold down the power button for several seconds.
Find other tutorials on Mac:
- How to update your Mac?
- How to take a screenshot on Mac?
- How to activate or deactivate the guest session on my Mac?
- How do I force software to quit on Mac?
- How to use NTFS USB drive on Mac?